“For the sake of survival, nature intended for us to be healthy.” – Darryl Edwards
(click to tweet)
The old health advice was simply “go to the gym and make sure to eat your fruits and veggies.” But we’ve moved far beyond that in our understanding of what makes for a healthy lifestyle, one that promotes a long, healthy life, and Darryl Edwards is talking about what exactly that means on today’s episode.
The closer that we can get in fitness to the behaviors and movements to what our ancestors would do, as a very general rule, the healthier we will be, and this is the foundation of the paleo diet. Instead of going to the gym and doing the exact same movement with the exact same weight many times over (which would never happen in nature), find new, more creative and constantly changing ways to challenge yourself physically.
In nutrition, shoot to eat mainly the things that a caveman would eat, such as meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds, while avoiding dairy, wheat and other grains, and legumes, as well as processed foods, or even foods that contain those (such as wheat-fed meats, etc). This may seem simple, but you will find that it is far removed from the common diet of today, and will provide you with far more energy, mental clarity, and fitness benefits than some of the more common approaches to diet today.
So if you want to learn how to become a better you in many ways, this episode is for you! Listen up, take notes, and refer to the bullet points below, and most importantly implement it in some way TODAY to start taking your life to the next level!
(click to tweet)
- For the sake of survival, nature intended for us to be healthy
- In the past, in order to obtain foods, we needed to utilize a very wide range of different movements
- In the modern age, we can avoid movement for the most part, but it is very detrimental to our health
- With modern advances in medicine and treatment, we’re living for longer, but we’re living less healthy
- If the animals you eat are healthier, you will be healthier as a consequence
- A lot of physical fitness focuses on one type of fitness, such as only cardio, or only strength, when the best lifestyle fitness is one that combines a very wide variety of types of fitness and movement
- Practical movements that have or used to have everyday use are the ones that usually provide the most health benefits
- The downside of lifting at the gym is that people tend to do the exact same movement and weight over and over again, often leading to injuries or strains
- Take the stairs, not the escalator
- Stand more than you sit
What you should eat
- Wheat and other grains