256: Should You Be Picky About Your Friends?
There is a saying that goes, “you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.” If this is true, there’s almost nothing as important to your ultimate success in life as who you choose to be your friends.
That is why I would argue emphatically that YES, you should be picky about your friend group. If there is an area of your life that you definitely should purposefully be picky about, it is your group of friends. However, it can often be tricky to make smart decisions without hurting people. How can you be diplomatic about the decisions you are making? How do you deal with family?
I’m answering all of that and more on this episode of the James Swanwick Show!
- Audit your friend group, and ask yourself: Are they pulling you in the right direction, or the wrong?
- Some people need to break up with several of their friends
- Understand that you will change, and your friend group might need to change as well
- When everything is competing for your attention, you need to make careful decisions about what you put your energy into, and you will put a lot of energy into your friends
- Your friend-group is an area of your life that you should be very picky about
- But, it’s not all strategic. Think about who makes you happy
- You don’t always need to cut people off, just be careful about the amount of time you will invest with them