177: Why Would You Quit Alcohol?
“Sustained alcohol drinking over many years may be considered normal in society, but is very unhealthy.” – James Swanwick
(click to tweet)
Society has ingrained upon us the idea that alcohol is a completely normal part of many everyday interactions. Think about it: If you’re celebrating a birthday, you drink. If you’re on a date, you drink. If you just had a promotion, you drink. Society has made us believe that we need to drink under so many circumstances, but the truth is that it’s not the case!
Today I’m talking with Shakira Elliot, a graduate of the 30 Day No Alcohol Challenge, about the changes quitting alcohol had on her life, and believe me they are significant. In fact, most things are simply better without alcohol! You sleep better, you skin is better, you get in better shape, you look better, you feel better, you’re more productive… Pretty much everything is better!
This isn’t to say that need to quit. You don’t. But maybe you should look into giving it up just for a bit. Try 30 days. You may find, like Shakira did, that the benefits just far outweigh the upsides of drinking. If you want more out of your life then you owe it to yourself to try taking a break! Learn more at 30DayNoAlcoholChallenge.com
“You’re less YOU when you’re drinking.” – James Swanwick
(click to tweet
- You don’t have to be an alcoholic to feel the negative effects of it. Even just a few drinks a week socially is enough to affect most areas of your life
- Sustained alcohol drinking over many years may be considered normal in society, but is very unhealthy
- A lot of people drink for social reasons, not because they really enjoy the taste or even the feeling
- You’re less you when you’re drinking
- Quitting alcohol will often have the unexpected effect of bringing higher quality relationships into your life
- Take your weekends back!
- A lot of people drink to fit in, but the truth is that people usually completely accept the idea that you don’t drink, and it actually may bring you closer to them
- Society gives us all of these ideas that we need alcohol for a variety of activities that actually have nothing to do with alcohol
- Not everyone will understand why you don’t drink, and that’s completely ok! They don’t need to
- You don’t have to quit forever. Just try it for 30 days!